Bus Drivers 

These workers drive buses and operate streetcars, subway trains and light rail transit vehicles to transport passengers on established routes.

Work: Bus and streetcar drivers perform some or all of the following duties: , Drive buses or streetcars to transport passengers along established routes to local destinations; Drive buses to transport passengers and goods to intercity or long distance destinations; Drive sightseeing tour buses to transport passengers locally or over long distances, and may provide information on points of interest during trip; Drive buses equipped for wheelchair accessibility, and aid passengers in boarding; Provide passengers with information on fares, schedules and stops; Collect fares, issue transfers, check bus passes and record transactions; Report delays, mechanical problems and accidents; May load and unload passengers' luggage. , , School bus drivers perform some or all of the following duties: , Drive school buses to transport children between school and home or on excursions; Ensure children's safety when boarding and leaving buses and crossing street while bus is stopped. , , Subway train and light rail transit operators perform some or all of the following duties: , Operate subway or rail transit vehicles as part of two-person crew; Observe signals at crossings and arrival and departure points; Operate controls to open and close transit vehicle doors; Report delays, malfunctions and accidents to control unit; Direct passengers during emergency evacuation procedures.

Title Examples: Bus Driver, Ground Transportation Driver, Moter Coach Operator, School Bus Driver, Transit Operator

Useful Secondary School subjects: Mechanics, English

Degrees associated with this career: High School Diploma, Certificate, Diploma

Requirements: In general, you usually need a high school diploma and must have a minimum of one year of safe-driving experience. , You usually receive three months' on-the-job training including classroom instruction. , To be a bus driver, you need a Class B, C, E or F driver's licence in Ontario and a Class 2 driver's licence elsewhere. , To be a subway or light rail transit operator, you usually need experience as a public transit bus driver. , You may need an Air Brakes Endorsement and First Aid Certificate. , With experience, you may move up the ranks to become a supervisor or an inspector. , Many recent entrants have a high school diploma, and almost 3 in 10 have a trade/vocational certificate or community college diploma.

Got queries? Post them below and our experts will get back to you:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *