Ultrasound Technologists (Medical Sonographers) 

Medical sonographers operate ultrasound equipment to produce and record images of various parts of the body to aid physicians in monitoring pregnancies and in diagnosing cardiac, ophthalmic, vascular and other medical disorders.

Work: Medical sonographers perform some or all of the following duties: , Operate ultrasound imaging equipment that transmits high frequency sound pulses through the body to produce images of those parts of the body requiring examination; Monitor examination by viewing images on video screen, to evaluate quality and consistency of diagnostic images, and make adjustments to equipment, as required; Record, store and process scanned images by using camera unit connected to ultrasound equipment; Observe and care for patients throughout examinations to ensure patient safety and comfort; Prepare examination reports for physicians to aid in the monitoring of pregnancies and the diagnosis of cardiac, abdominal, ophthalmic, vascular and other disorders; Perform quality control checks on ultrasound equipment to ensure proper operation and perform minor repairs and adjustments as required; May supervise and train student and other medical sonographers. , Medical sonographers may specialize in abdominal, cardiac, cerebral, obstetrical and gynaecological, ophthalmic, intraluminal or peripheral vascular sonography. They may also specialize in adult or pediatric echocardiography or neurosonology.

Title Examples: Angiography Technologists, Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technologists, Mammography Technologists, Radiographers

Useful Secondary School subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Math

Degrees associated with this career: Certificate, Diploma, Bachelor

Requirements: To be a medical technologist or technician, you must have a high school diploma and specialized training. , You usually need a college program or a bachelor's degree and supervised practical or clinical training. , All medical radiation technologists will require a bachelor's degree as of January 1, 2005. , You may need registration or certification within a professional association. , You may need a licence in the province/territory where you'll work. , Most recent entrants have a trade/vocational certificate or community college diploma, and almost 3 in 10 have an undergraduate university degree.

Got queries? Post them below and our experts will get back to you:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *