Family, Marriage and Other Related Counsellors 

Family, marriage and other related counsellors assist individuals and groups of clients to identify, understand and overcome personal problems and achieve personal objectives.

Work: Family, marriage and other related counsellors perform some or all of the following duties: , Interview clients, prepare case histories, assess problems, and conduct vocational testing and psychometric assessment; Develop and implement counselling/intervention programs to assist clients in determining goals and the means to attain them; Counsel clients and provide therapy/mediation services; Evaluate the effectiveness of counselling programs and clients' progress; Provide public education/consultation to other professionals or groups regarding counselling services, issues, and methods; Prepare assessments, progress, follow-up, and court reports; Specialize in dealing with a specific client group such as injured workers or with specific problems such as drug/alcohol addiction, marital difficulties, and behavioural disorders.

Title Examples: Addictions Counsellor, Bereavement Counsellor, Family Counsellor, Marriage Counsellor, Registered Clinical Counsellor, Registered Marriage and Family Therapist, Rehabilitation Counsellor, Sex Therapist

Useful Secondary School subjects: Social Studies, English, A second language

Degrees associated with this career: Bachelor, Master, Doctorate

Requirements: You usually need a master's degree in counselling, mental health or a related social service field. , In Quebec, you need a master's degree in psychoeducation to practise as a psychoeducator and you must be a member of l'Ordre professionnel des conseillers et conseillères d'orientation du Québec. , You must be a member of your provincial/territorial association, meet strict graduate education criteria, and complete supervised clinical work to be allowed to use the titles "Registered Marriage and Family Therapist" or "Registered Clinical Counsellor". , For certain areas of counselling, you may need an undergraduate degree or college diploma in social science. , You may become specialized in a particular area through training/experience. , With additional training/experience, you may move up the ranks to become a social service manager. , Most recent entrants have an undergraduate university degree, and almost 1 in 10 has a graduate degree.

Got queries? Post them below and our experts will get back to you:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *